Mr. Perkins' wild ride

March 17, 2012 

Today we were towed over to the next marina by Eddie’s Marine Service headed up by Lupe, his brodder Chon, and a friendly crew of mexicanos, side tied along their dock and hoisted out our engine with their crane. 

hey Lupe, pull my diesel...

Preceding the pull was the disconnecting of all the engine components, hoses, shaft and wiring, all the binnacle mounted electronics and the binnacle, and breaking loose of the cockpit hatch for the engine to come out through.


prop shaft went smooth

deep breath in,

and hold....

starting on the binnacle





Fein Multimaster-if you have the means, I highly recommend you pick one up.  They're so choice


Next day was the tow to Lupe's.



                                                                   


I wish I had a photo of Lupe(on the left) jumping on the tranny as they hoisted her to get the proper tilt so it would fit through the hatch


all the oil in the bilge does make for a nice reflecting pool



The engine was taken to a local diesel shop for a complete overhaul and a couple of upgrades. It will be great to get the Perkins like new and be able to maintain it properly. Not to mention cleaning and repainting the bilge and engine room. When my surveyor commented that the fuel filters had not been changed since 2006, I just had to shake my head. Looking closer when I started disconnecting the engine, I saw that it was in fact 1996! With impeccable maintenance like this it’s no wonder she broke a rod.  

Really?

nice hose tumor, more stellar upkeep


leaky bilge pump mounted over uncovered batteries? awesome


Any way the weeks ahead will be fun filled bilge cleaning and de-greasing.

this was AFTER oil absorbent pads took most of the oil out of the water


But first, we rest.....

Comments

  1. My, she's a beautiful looking boat and I'm sure she'll make a great home and base for amazing journeys. I had no idea you guys were doing this. I'll live through you vicariously a little as I'd never have the guts (or family support) to do it. I look forward to following it on your blog. We won't still be in Sydney by the time your bluewater ways bring you Down Unda (but, who knows, we may be back), but you've gotta get here. Sailing is an ingrained part of the culture and I've totally gotten hooked on it! Good Luck! Hoover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris! Good to here from you. I had no idea that you were living in Sydney until we returned around Chrissy. We were in Sydney for a couple of months sorting my citizenship stuff, and Samantha's childhood friend actually lives in Manly just a few blocks from the ferry. I was getting everthing in line to do a stint in the mines, and we will be back later this year for that. We will definitely have to go for a sail on some boat if not this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myron, Nice rig...she's a beaut! It looks like you have your work cut out for you. I can't wait to see where your Discovery takes you. Say hello to Sam. Check out www.thehulltruth.com if you have not already. Mostly motor vessels, but lots of good info on boat restoration from some very knowledgeable folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! hello to your family as well. Yea I love that site, tons of good stuff

      Delete
  4. That's awesome that you had the chance to remove the engine. It makes working in the engine room so much easier, not to mention the overhaul. The pictures look great. What model is your Perkins? We have a 4-108.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ours is a 4-108 as well, with a Borg Warner velvet drive. I'm having them install a serpentine belt upgrade so we can run a high output alternator without the hassle of 2 belts. Oh and painting it gloss white, so we can spot future leaks and problems

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory foam dreams

Engine goes in